This is probably not the first time you are hearing about poker. It is one of the most popular card games in the world. In India, the popularity of the game is one the rise as more and more competitions are being held in land casinos as well as online casinos.
Every year, there are dozens of poker tournaments around the globe. People who invest fully in the game leave everything to get better at the game. Since the cash prize pool of each competition is massive, people around the globe take part in the game. While playing with your friends for a little while is fun and all, if you want to compete in the tournaments, you will require a whole different level of commitment.
This article is for someone who is looking to learn more about the variations of Poker. Maybe you have heard about the game from your friends or you have seen people with shades playing poker in movies and you want to learn about the game more. Well, you are in the right place.
Poker is a game of skill as much as it is a game of chance. You must know how to not crack under pressure.
Types of Poker
This may surprise many but there are dozens poker variations available around the world. Here we have discussed about a few that are more popular in India:
Texas Hold’em is quite possibly the most well-known variation of Poker. Most of the online casino platforms feature this version of poker. Furthermore, almost all of the big poker tournaments feature Texas Hold’em.
- Dealer deals every player two cards (for their eyes only).
- Five cards are spread- three at once. After that, another card is spread and another one after that. Players need to make their best possible five-card hand out of the card that they received.
- Players take turns to bet before and after each card(s) is revealed. If players want to stay in the hand and see the next card, all of the players must have put the same amount of chips in the pot as each other
- The player with the best poker hand wins the pot
Omaha High is another popular version of poker. Most of the rules of this version is similar to Texas Hold’em. In this version:
- Each player receives four private cards (‘hole cards’). The cards belong only to that player.
Dealer deals five community cards (face-up) on the board.
- Every player makes best five-card poker hand by using exactly three of the community cards with exactly two of their hole cards.
Also known as Eight or Better or Omaha/8, in this version of poker, players have to form TWO hands with their hole cards and the community cards. Players win if they have the highest high hand and the lowest low hand.
- Players receive four private cards (hole cards). The cards belong only to that player.
- Dealer deals five community cards (face-up) on the board.
- All the players must make the best five-card poker hand by using exactly two cards from their four-hole cards together with the three cards from the board.
- The pot gets divided between the best hand for high and the best hand for low.
5 Card Omaha
In 5 Card Omaha:
- Dealer deals each player five private cards (hole cards). The cards belong only to that player.
- Players receive five community cards that are dealt face-up on the board.
- All players try to make the best five-card hand by using exactly three of the community cards together with exactly two of their hole cards.
7 Card Stud
Seven Card Stud is quite a complicated poker game. Here:
- All players individually receive seven cards throughout the course of the hand.
- To determine the winner, out of the seven cards, only the best five-card poker hand possible for each player is used.
Razz, aka Seven Card only low is a variation of poker where the best Ace to Five low poker hand wins the pot at showdown. Here, player wishes to get to have the lowest ranked hand rather than the highest. In the game:
- Players receive seven cards throughout the course of the hand.
- The best five-card low hand possible for each player is used to determine the winner.
- In this version, there is no eight or better requirement to win the pot.
Five Card Draw
Five Card Draw is the simplest form of poker. This is the best game for the beginners to start their poker journey.
In Five Card Draw:
- Every player receives five hidden hole cards.
- The first player has the option to fold, call, or raise after the big blind.
- The game follows clockwise approach on the poker table until betting is complete for the round.
- On the second round, there is a draw and each player selects which cards they wish to discard.
Horse is a combination of five games: Hold’em, Omaha Hi/Lo, Razz, Stud, and Eight-or better. The game is popular on most online as well as land-based casinos.
There are several other versions of Poker available. Listed below are some of the other variations:
- 5 Card Omaha
- Stud Hi/Lo
- 6 Card Omaha
- Five Card Draw
- 2-7 Triple Draw
- 2-7 Single Draw
- 6+ Hold’em
Teen Patti vs Poker
Although there are a lot of similarities between Poker and Teen Patti, the difference between the games is what people want to know about. Teen Patti might be new for most people outside India, while Poker- dubbed the ‘King of all Card Games’ is popular in all parts of the world. Teen Patti is just a toned-down version of poker with fewer cards and less calculations.